August 29, 2015

I could not leave that campsite fast enough. Over the past few days I’d gotten pretty good at breaking camp so this was a whirlwind tear down. I even set my alarm and was up before it went off. Awake and on the road.  No time to eat, I’d do it later.  I put food out for the dogs while I packed but they seemed just as eager to get going as I was.

Starting mileage. It’s a little fuzzy. I was in a rush to get started.
A few hours down the road and I stopped at the Red Barn just in Moosinin (I think that’s how it’s spelled) and ordered a meat lover scramble. When I picked up the box, I almost dropped it because it was so heavy.  I sat in the passenger seat with the door propped open and the leashes clipped to my sandal so the dogs had a little space to move as we ate our breakfast in the lot. Well I ate and they stared at me waiting for something to drop while they ignored their bowls of food. Then a short walk around the edge of the property and back on the road.

That’s a lot of meat. And egg. And cheese goodness.
And we drove and drove and drove. Just before Winnipeg is the statue of The White Horse. My grandparents used to live a few minutes away and I always liked to see it when I was out for a visit. So of course we had stop. You know you’re grown up and an equestrian when you look at this beautiful monument and after a few minutes start to notice conformational flaws.  Ah the passage of youth.

The White Horse.
Hey there’s Winnipeg.  There goes Winnipeg.

At least in the southern part of Manitoba there are trees. And when you turn off the highway, it goes through a little town and the drive is going well and then wait where did the road go? And for the next 65 km it’s dirt road. No businesses. No houses. No cell signal.  The only traffic on the road is at shift change at the peat processing plant which happens twice a day.  The first time I made the drive I was so confused I thought I had missed a turn.

The only thing you see for 65 km.
My grandparents were expecting me and were waiting on the porch when I parked the car.  I hadn’t told them about Leo and could not wait to see their reaction.  I undid everyone’s harnesses and let them jump out in one big tangle.  Piper and Jack knew exactly where they were and nearly knocked poor grandma over. Leo was right in the thick of things and he very quickly made himself right at home.

We took the next few days to relax and recharge.  And shower.